Heating & Cooling Tips
Providing Cost Saving HVAC Tips to Northern Virginia Homeowners
One of the best things about living in Northern Virginia is that you get to experience all four seasons. But that also means you need to have two efficient HVAC systems—one to keep your home cool in the summer and another to stay warm in the winter. Given the brutal summer and winter months in Fairfax, Arlington, Centreville, Reston, and the entire Northern VA area, you should take a look at some of the heating and cooling tips our expert HVAC technicians have put together.
Summer AC Tips for Northern VA Residents
Keep cool this summer—and save money—by following these air conditioning tips from the HVAC experts at John Nugent & Sons.
- Get your HVAC system inspected regularly. HVAC systems tend to decline in performance without regular maintenance. Learn more about how an HVAC inspection in Northern VA from John Nugent & Sons can help you get the most out of your equipment!
- Change your HVAC filters every month. Filters help with air quality and efficiency, so it’s important to change them regularly. Learn more about proper HVAC maintenance so your equipment will last.
- Make sure your new air conditioner is properly sized. The wrong size air conditioner won’t give you the results you’re looking for, both in terms of efficiency and cooling effectiveness. Learn how John Nugent & Sons can make sure you get the correct new air conditioner for your home.
- Seal leaks in ducts. Duct leaks can cause reduced efficiency. Learn the basics on air duct sealing so you don’t waste energy.
- Shade your rooms. Close shades/curtains on south and west-facing windows or any other windows that get direct sunlight during the day. Get more tips on how to keep your house cool from John Nugent & Sons.
- Use fans. Keep the thermostat set around 72 degrees if using ceiling fans. Learn more tips to increase your air conditioner efficiency.
- Turn down the cooling at bedtime. Night is inherently cooler, and you should be able to get away with turning your system down a few degrees. It may not seem like much, but this alone can save you hundreds over the year.
- Turn the system down or off when leaving the home. Activities that take you away from home for long periods of time such as work, vacation, or out-of-town trips are wasting your energy. Cut the system off for longer trips, but at least turn it down for work.
- Consider a programmable thermostat. Programmable systems are one of the greatest inventions to hit the HVAC scene in years. Responsive, smart control of your system saves time, energy, and money.
To learn more about indoor air quality in your Northern VA home, visit the EPA’s Indoor Air Quality webpage.
Get More Air Conditioner Tips from John Nugent & Sons
You probably use your AC a lot in the summer—so make sure you get the most out of it! Our air conditioner tips can help you lower your energy bills and keep your equipment running well for as long as possible. Of course, if you experience any breakdowns, just give us a call! If you have additional questions (or want more air conditioner tips!), please contact us by phone or fill out our contact form and someone will respond to you shortly. We proudly serve Fairfax, Arlington, Centreville, Reston, and the entire Northern VA community.
Winter HVAC Tips
When it comes to wasting energy, the cold winter months in Northern VA can cost you the most. Poor insulation alone can contribute up to a 30 percent loss in heat. What can you do to avoid the waste?
- Install weather stripping. This eliminates spaces between a door and frame. A tiny 1/16″ space is equivalent to leaving a window open three inches.
- Turn your thermostat down to 68° or lower. Each degree above 68 can increase your home heating bill by as much as three percent.
- Open blinds and curtains. Doing this during the day allows sunlight to naturally heat your home.
- Seal cracks with caulk and install outlet seals.
- Change furnace filters often to improve the efficiency of your unit.
- Install a programmable thermostat to automatically lower the temperature at night or when you’re away from your home.
If you have questions, please contact us by phone or fill out our contact form and someone will respond to you shortly.
Get More Heating Tips from John Nugent & Sons
From December until early March, our commutes are a nightmare and staying indoors is the only way to stay comfortable. So if the temperature is down in the 20s and your heating system has decided to burn out, you need a heating contractor you can trust! At John Nugent & Sons, our heating system services are designed to save you money and keep you comfortable all winter long. If you are looking for more heating tips, give us a call at 703-291-1926.
Northern Virginia’s HVAC Experts
Since 1975, we’ve been providing customers with excellent HVAC, plumbing, and electrical service. We pride ourselves on our exceptional customer service, professional attitude, and great product selection. It doesn’t matter whether you need installation, replacement, or repair of your HVAC, plumbing, or electrical systems—we can help. You can come to us for any and all of your needs when it comes to your home systems.
We understand you’re busy, and that’s why you can schedule your HVAC service online! Just fill out a quick form and you’re good to go. No matter what problems you’re having, our expert technicians will get your home back in order in no time!