Read our communication regarding new measures our team is enacting in this critical time.
DIY HVAC, Plumbing & Electrical Quick Fixes
While our team at John Nugent & Sons is ready to solve any problem you may have with your HVAC, electrical, or plumbing systems, there are some things you can handle on your own if you’re interested in saving some money. Here are some tips and tricks for DIY, easy fixes.
Heating and Air Conditioning Tips
- Make sure your system’s power is on.
- Check to see if your thermostat is calling for heating or cooling.
- Check for dirty air filters.
- Make sure all registers are open.
- Always turn a tripped breaker to the “off” position to reset it, before turning it to “on.”
- If you have checked and do not have a tripped breaker, it may be a tripped GFCI-protected outlet. GFCI-protected outlets are generally used anywhere there could be water—bathrooms, kitchens, outdoor spaces, garages, or basements. Due to the electrical load and need for ground fault protection, some of these areas may be combined on a single circuit. A GFCI-protected outlet may serve many outlets upstream and can be identified by having both a TEST and RESET button located on the face. Once you have located the GFCI, inspect to see if it has tripped, press the test to trip it, and then reset to restore power.
- Many homes have outlets controlled by a light switch; if you have a receptacle that does not have power, this could be the case. Have you noticed an existing switch that doesn’t seem to turn on a light? This may be a good place to start. You can verify power by plugging in a standard lamp to the switched outlet, and then try the switch in both the on and off positions.
- Check all shut offs to make sure they are fully open or closed, whichever is desired.
- Place a hair catcher over your shower drain to ensure that you’re not backing up your shower and turning it into an unwanted bathtub. Be sure to clean these regularly; if not, they will become the blockage themselves.
- Try using your plunger. Most stoppages and clogs can be fixed with simply a little elbow grease.
Schedule HVAC, Plumbing & Electrical Services with John Nugent & Sons
For small problems you may notice around your home, these are great tips on how to save yourself some money. As always, though, if there is a significant issue, contact us immediately and we will send someone over to provide a solution for you!
To schedule an HVAC, electrical, or plumbing service in Northern Virginia with our team at John Nugent & Sons, contact us at 703-291-1926!
See Our Coupons & Specials
10 TIME Super Service Award Winner!
"John Nugent & Sons, I believe, is a model for a company with excellent management, superior service through cooperative scheduling and excellent service representatives."
J.A. – Leesburg, VA.