Why Is My Northern Virginia Home Heating Unevenly?
Whether you live in a multi-level home or a one bedroom apartment, you might experience hot spots throughout different rooms. From cracks in window sealing to improper insulation to dirty air filters—there are many reasons why you could experience poor air circulation. If you notice some rooms in your home are difficult to heat, while others are tough to cool, call John Nugent & Sons for a professional evaluation that can lead to improved comfort for you and your family.
Uneven airflow is a problem affecting many homeowners in the Northern Virginia area. Schedule an appointment with the HVAC experts at John Nugent & Sons to diagnose and resolve the air circulation issues in your home!
Reasons for Uneven Heating
More often than not, when uneven heating happens, it could be a number of small issues that can be easily fixed. Before scheduling a heating repair professional to diagnose the issue, there are some things you can check for yourself first:
- Blocked registers – Do you have furniture placed over the vents in your home? If so, this is a simple fix that will help with air circulation! Readjust your furniture placement so the air vents are cleared and the air can flow freely into the room.
- Dirty air filters – When your air filter is dirty, you’re requiring your HVAC system to work harder than necessary. It’s working overtime to get air through the filter into your home—causing you to spend extra money each month! Replacing your air filter will not only save you money on your monthly energy bills but will help avoid poor circulation problems caused by excessive dirt.
- Leaky ductwork – When conditioned air is lost through cracks in your home’s air ducts, it makes it much more difficult for a room to reach and maintain a consistent temperature. If neglected, your air won’t circulate properly and will leave your home unevenly heated or cooled.
- Inadequately sized HVAC unit – The size of your home determines how big your home’s HVAC system should be. If your HVAC unit is not large enough, it won’t be able to adequately maintain the temperature of your home—causing discomfort for you and your family.
If you notice any of these problems, address them immediately! Your HVAC unit won’t have to exert as much energy, and your wallet will thank you!
DIY Fixes for Uneven Air Circulation
While a furnace repair or replacement might be necessary, there are a few simple fixes to improve the air circulation, including:
- Wall vent air deflectors – Instead of shooting the air up the wall, these will help to deflect the air to the center of the room. Vent deflectors are also a good option if you have a raised bed or high piece of furniture that is placed over a register because it will help the air to circulate.
- Air vent fan – If the air flowing out of your vents is not strong enough, you should invest in an air vent fan. This will boost the air circulation in the room! It even has different settings so you can decide just how strong you want the air flow to be.
- Air vent covers – If certain rooms are receiving more air than others, you can cover the vents in the rooms receiving excess air. This will cause the air to distribute more evenly throughout the different rooms.
If you’re still experiencing uneven heating in the rooms of your home, give the HVAC experts at John Nugent & Sons a call at 703-291-1926!
Improve Your Northern VA Home’s Air Flow With John Nugent & Sons
We are Northern Virginia’s leading HVAC Company, and we are ready to help you improve the comfort in your home! If you aren’t sure what you need, give us a call and we’ll help you decide on the best comfort solution. We are a family owned and operated company, so we truly care about your needs.
Contact us today to learn how to improve the air flow and comfort in your Northern Virginia home!