Why Install a Home Standby Generator in Northern Virginia?
Extended power outages are a reality in many areas across the country, and are a very real threat to the safety and security of your home and family. Regardless of whether the outage occurs due to a hurricane, tornado, heavy winds, or other weather phenomenon, the end result is the same: the electricity that you rely so heavily on to power your HVAC system, lights, communication devices, small appliances, medical equipment, and more, becomes inaccessible. While temporary alternatives exist for some applications, such as using a lantern or flashlight for light, or your fireplace for heat, there is only one long term solution which can provide uninterrupted power to your home for days: a standby generator.
Don’t let your family deal with an uncomfortable situation! Contact John Nugent & Sons to schedule your generator installation in Northern VA!
What Is a Home Standby Generator?
Most people are familiar with portable generators, having seen one at work, an outdoor event, or while camping. Though a small generator can supply ample power to small appliances or lights for a short time, a standby generator is a more permanent power source, providing high-quality electricity, and designed for long term use.
The unit itself is typically installed in a backyard, on a concrete pad for stability and protection. The standby generator is connected directly to the electrical panel of the home, and maintains its power from an alternate fuel source, such as propane, diesel, or natural gas.
How Does a Standby Generator Work?
A home standby generator waits at the ready, for a signal from the automatic transfer switch contained within. When your main power supply becomes unavailable, the switch safely disconnects your home from that source, starts up the generator, and begins supplying power to your electrical panel. The generator will continue to run until the fuel supply is exhausted, or becomes unavailable due to limited supply or interrupted delivery.
Once utility power has been restored, the automatic transfer switch performs the same function, but in reverse, eliminating power from the generator, and reconnecting your home to the main power supply once the voltage has stabilized.
Why Should I Install a Home Standby Generator?
The benefits of a home standby generator are many, though the initial cost may seem daunting. Annual maintenance is required to ensure the unit stays in good working order, but is well worth the effort to reap the following rewards:
- Maintain a high level of comfort throughout your home, operating heating or cooling equipment as needed.
- Save money by remaining in your home for the duration of the outage, instead of escaping to a nearby hotel in search of electricity, a hot meal, and a long shower.
- Stay safe and dry while the unit automatically powers on.
- Enjoy continued food and water supply, rather than worrying about spoilage.
- Rest easy knowing your family, and possessions are safe and secure.
- Carry on with your normal daily activities without interruption, while keeping informed about storm activity and disruption, through communication channels such as your television, radio, or internet.
- Eliminate the risk of damage to electronics from power surges, as your standby generator provides built-in protection.
Call Today for Generator Services in Northern Virginia
Whether you want to install a new generator or repair and maintain an older one, we’re the team to call. As a family-owned business with over four decades of experience, we pride ourselves on keeping up with industry standards and making sure all of our service experts continuously meet licensing standards. Only the best will show up at your home to meet your needs.
If you have any questions about home standby generators, contact us online or give us a call at 703-291-1926 and someone will respond to you shortly.