Why Installing a Sump Pump Will Save You Thousands
Sump pump installation is one of the best things you can do for your basement. Sump pumps help Northern Virginia homeowners avoid many different types of property damage.
Repairing structural damage to your home is a big expense that also comes with anxiety and inconvenience. Sump pumps are designed to keep your basement dry and intact, working automatically to provide many years of dependable service.
What Is a Sump Pump?
A properly installed sump pump redirects any water that creeps into your basement, sending it safely outside and away from your home. Sump pumps should be installed by a qualified plumber in the center (and low point) of your basement area, often underneath the home. In this sump pit, a tank collects any water that infiltrates your basement.
Water runs naturally toward the tank due to gravity, so that the sump pump can flush it out. That means if your basement laundry area gets doused by a malfunctioning washing machine, disaster is averted. You won’t have to worry about any type of leak or flood that results in water entering your basement.
How Can Your Sump Pump Save You Money?
Sump pumps and installation costs vary, depending upon details about your property, such as the size of your basement or the type of flooring and soil below. For homeowners in McLean, VA and surrounding areas, sump pumps soon pay for themselves in a number of ways. Let’s look at the details showing just how cost-effective your sump pump can be.
How Sump Pump Installation Can Pay for Itself
Sump pumps can save you money by:
- Preventing water damage to your home’s structure: Basement flooding from heavy rainfall is far from uncommon in Northern VA. Rainwater soaks the ground around your basement walls and may leak in through tiny cracks in the foundation or through basement windows. This can damage the foundation and the structural beams of your house. It will also ruin any flooring and finishes in your basement. Your sump pump prevents a costly basement flood.
- Protecting stored belongings: A sump pump can also prevent damage to any items stored in your basement. Replacing these items can be costly, especially if some items are treasured keepsakes, essentially irreplaceable.
- Avoiding an electrical fire and related reconstruction costs: When floodwaters reach electrical devices plugged into basement electrical outlets, fire can break out. This would also damage household wiring in the area, putting your whole house and family in danger.
- Helping to prevent unhealthy, damaging mold growth, plus cleanup costs: Standing water left in your basement raises humidity levels and soaks into flooring, carpet, drywall, etc. This can lead to unhealthy, destructive mold and mildew growth. Removing mold is expensive, requiring expert remediation.
- Avoiding insect infestation and pest control service costs: Basement moisture attracts pests and insects. Dealing with an infestation is not pleasant, and pest control services can be costly.
- Providing peace of mind: Knowing your home is safe in case of a flood prevents stress. You can’t put a price or exact value on stress relief. Most people agree, however, that stress is very costly to your health—and avoiding worry is incredibly valuable.
The Costs of Basement Flood Recovery
Structural damage from basement flooding typically requires expensive, specialized cleanup tasks like:
- Water removal.
- Ventilation and drying of the area.
- Mold remediation and decontamination.
- Salvaging possessions from the basement and/or restoring items if possible.
- Structural repairs to replace rotted wood or areas cut out for mold remediation.
- Treatment for pest or insect infestations.
All too often, you can’t count on your homeowner’s insurance to help pay for this type of damage. Additional flood coverage is generally needed. Even if you have flood insurance, a sump pump can mean not having to deal with flood damage (or insurance adjusters) at all.
Where to Get Expert Sump Pump Installation in Northern VA
At John Nugent & Sons, we’ve served the HVAC, plumbing, and electrical needs of McLean and the rest of Northern Virginia since 1975. Our team is dedicated to customer satisfaction.
Don’t let floods or heavy rains cause you stress or damage your home. Contact John Nugent & Sons to learn more about sump pump installation today.