Read our communication regarding new measures our team is enacting in this critical time.
Cost Saving Cooling Tips for Northern Virginia Homeowners
Your cooling system is essentially a necessity once the warmer weather arrives here in Virginia. Unfortunately, it’s also one of the largest energy and utility expenditures, as well. So how can you stay comfortable, while avoiding spiking cooling costs and financial potholes? The experts at John Nugent & Sons are here to help! We’ve sifted through the wives tales and hearsay to find real nuggets of truth that will help you keep costs down, and comfort up this summer season!
For reliable HVAC services throughout Northern Virginia, including McLean, Falls Church, and Arlington, contact John Nugent & Sons!
Energy-Efficient Cooling Tips
We’ve built this list of proven, effective methods of cooling and cost-saving to help you in the quest for affordable comfort:
Control Your Thermostat
Higher control of your HVAC system is the key to low-cost cooling:
- Turn down the cooling at bedtime. Night is inherently cooler, and you should be able to get away with turning your system up a few degrees. It may not seem like much, but this alone can save you hundreds over the year.
- Turn the system down, or off when leaving the home. Activities that take you away from home for long periods of time such as work, vacation, or out-of-town trips are wasting your energy. Cut the system off for longer trips, but at least turn it down for work.
- Consider a programmable thermostat. Programmable systems are one of the greatest inventions to hit the HVAC scene in years. Responsive, smart control of your system saves time, energy, and money.
Improve Your Windows
Windows that lack treatments, or are left open could be costing you hundreds every year. Fix the issue with:
- Blinds and curtains. Even better when in combination, these additions shield your home from heat generated by thermal transfer. Having your windows open and exposed during the day may bring some good light into the home, but it adds a few degrees as well.
- Screens, films, and treatments. There are lots of great window-protecting options out there. Solar screens that fit over the exterior of your window are a great option, as are heat-resistant metallic films. These are great for those who love sunlight, but hate sun heat!
Make Use of Fans
Fans don’t literally cool the air in your home, but the movement of air helps mitigate humidity. This can make your rooms feel about four or five degrees cooler, keeping you from having to crank up your air conditioner on the hotter days! For the most effective results, use ceiling fans, and learn about attic fans as well.
Consider Maintenance & Possibly AC Replacement
Maintenance is critical for reducing cooling costs, and avoiding costly repairs. But if your system refuses to play nice, and just isn’t adequately meeting your needs, consider replacement! In most cases, a replacement will pay for itself within a few years of installation, rewarding your home with higher quality, efficient cooling.
HVAC Services in Northern Virginia
For over 35 years, we’ve been providing customers with noteworthy Arlington HVAC, plumbing and electrical service. We strive to maintain our exceptional customer service and high quality product selection. Whether you need installation, replacement or repair of your Arlington, VA HVAC, plumbing or electrical systems, we are the company to call. We know you have a lot going on in your life, and that’s why you can schedule your HVAC, plumbing or electrical service in Arlington online! Just fill out a quick form and you’re good to go. No matter what problems you’re having, we’ll get your home back in order in no time!
Looking for expert repair, maintenance, and replacement services in our area? Call on the specialists at John Nugent & Sons today to get the service you deserve!
See Our Coupons & Specials
10 TIME Super Service Award Winner!
"John Nugent & Sons, I believe, is a model for a company with excellent management, superior service through cooperative scheduling and excellent service representatives."
J.A. – Leesburg, VA.