Fall HVAC Maintenance Checklist
When fall finally comes around, the collective sigh of relief here in Northern Virginia seems like it can be heard state-wide. But fall is quite short and winter will be knocking on the door soon after! Is your furnace system ready to take on everything the rest of the year has to throw at you?
At John Nugent & Sons, we’re all about solutions. Usually through offering our superior services, and top quality products! But sometimes all homeowners need is solid, reliable tips, tricks, and info. And you know what? We like offering that, too!
Furnace Maintenance for Homeowners
These DIY solutions can’t replace professional maintenance, of course, but they should be done routinely to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of your system between visits. Don’t worry, they’re quick and easy, and are more than worth it.
- Replace your HVAC filter. The best thing you can do for your furnace, hands-down. And most folks rarely, if ever, do it often enough! You should replace your filter before the winter season hits, and continue to replace it monthly for the best results. While you’re at it, look into polyester or pleated filters. They cost slightly more, but last considerably longer and provide much better air quality and overall efficiency for your system.
- Clean up. Clear any dust or debris that may have accumulated on your furnace in the months it has been resting. Not only does excess dust cause musty odors, it presents a fire hazard as well! Routine dusting near your furnace system can also go toward improving efficiency, as it reduces the risk of your furnace developing a clog and maximizes healthy air flow.
- Clear exterior unit. If your heating system has an outdoor unit, clear it of fallen leaves and debris before you kick the system on. These bits and pieces can restrict air flow and can often lead to unnecessary repair costs if ignored.
- Check your system. Give it a look around and check for cracks, dents, or any other obvious signs of damage to your system. Avoid working with the electrical components, as they pose a pretty serious risk of shock, but glancing to see if electrical connections are tight is easy and safe.
- Schedule professional maintenance. Your system needs routine care to operate at its best, and when it comes down to it, there’s nothing like a professional tune-up. We recommend getting these twice a year; once in spring, and once in the fall to get the best efficiency your system(s) can provide. To meet all of your HVAC needs, we offer maintenance contracts to maximize your benefits!
A Further Note on Air Filters
You pretty much always want to find the most efficient and effective filter for your furnace. But do not use HEPA or air purifying filters! These are for specific applications, mostly commercial, and can actually constrict the air flow of your furnace enough to cause a breakdown. Pleated and polyester are best for residential use, fiberglass is acceptable but needs to be changed monthly.
Furnace Maintenance in Northern Virginia
If you neglect to service your furnace, it can stop working suddenly, leaving your family in the cold. Furnace maintenance is so important when it comes to heating your home safely and efficiently each winter. Maintaining your furnace now can keep you from having to make costly repairs down the road.
You can feel safe this fall and winter knowing you’re entering into the cold months with a reliable furnace. Contact us today for furnace maintenance services in the Northern Virginia area.