Prepping Your Air Conditioner for Summer
Mother Nature has been giving us slight glimpses of what to expect during the coming summer months. We like to think of it as her subtly reminding everyone that it is time to get their air conditioners ready so there are no unpleasant surprises at the last minute. As a way to help her, and you, along, here are some tips to get you started with your air conditioning prep for the hot summer months ahead.
To meet your cooling needs, we offer comprehensive tune-up services to ensure your system runs optimally and effectively. John Nugent & Sons has been handling HVAC repair, maintenance, and installation for over forty years! Contact our team for further assistance.
Preparing Your AC
Before you even start, it is essential that you make sure all electrical supply to your unit is off. It’s easy to forget this one basic step, but it is very important. Once the electric is off, you are ready to get started.
- Change your filter – The filter collects all the stuff you don’t want floating around in the air. If your unit has a reusable filter, a simple cleaning will take care of the problem. If your unit has a disposable filter, change it now.
- Check your condenser – Most condensers have some kind of insulation on them. Make sure the insulation is intact and there are no holes or tears in it that can cause the cool air to leak out.
- Clean out any debris– Leaves, dirt, and even small pieces of rock can get embedded in the outside of your air conditioner, clogging it and preventing it from performing properly. Take a moment to make sure all the debris is out and the airway is and vents are completely clear.
You need to plug your unit in for the next three tests:
- Test the thermostat– Thermostats can become less accurate over time. Turn your thermostat all the way off. Then turn it all the way on and set the unit to cool. Is it cooling quickly? Is the air flowing properly?
- Test the fan– The fan probably has never been totally quiet, but listen for any dragging or scraping noises that can indicate the fan is running slower or there may be lose parts inside. It should be a smooth, steady sound when working.
- Check for leaks– make sure there is no leaking coolant that can indicate problems with the hoses. You want the coolant in the unit, not on your floor or the ground.
Additional Air Conditioner Maintenance
Air conditioners have a lot of internal elements that can become clogged with dust, wear out or in some other manner fail to perform as well as they should. Just as your body and your car need a yearly check-up to catch any issues before they become problems, it is a good idea to have a professional perform a yearly check-up on your air conditioner to make sure it is up to par and able to make it through the workout it is about to go through during the summer. Give John Nugent & Sons a call today to schedule a service check for your air conditioner. They’ll have you sitting pretty, and cool, all summer long.
Air Conditioning Services in Northern Virginia
Don’t wait until summer is upon us to call for air conditioner maintenance. It’s better to diagnose potential problems before the heat arrives. But if you experience any sort of problem with your air conditioner, our air conditioning contractors will respond in a timely manner and get your home comfortable again. We are committed to bringing you superior value as a leading heating and air conditioning contractor in Northern Virginia.
If you have questions about your current equipment or replacement, please contact us online and someone will respond to you shortly. Also, be sure to check out our air conditioner specials!